Photo © Les Ronan. Please do not re-post without permission.
The tour vehcle for the NTA 1964 Wolverhampton Trolleybus tour being turned on the Bilston Depot turntable. It was Wolverhampton C.T. 408, DJW938, a Sunbeam W4 new with a Weymann body 5/45, rebodied Park Royal H54R 2/52; withdrawn 10/65 and sold to Don Everall.
Wolverhampton had 2 of the 4 known trolleybus turntables in the UK (at Bilston & Sedgley depots) The others were the better known Longwood on the Huddersfield system and Christchurch on the Bournemouth system. Bilston & Sedgley depots were both acquired when the Corporation bought Wolverhampton Electric Tramways Ltd from the BET group. Both were on narrow sites, so when they were adapted for trolleybus operation the only practicable way of turning trolleybuses on site was the provision of a turntable - a much more sensible option that that used at Maidstone, where trolleybuses had to back out of the depot onto a busy road. The Sedgley turntable had a short life as the depot was closed in 1938 due to the opening of the Park Lane depot and the resulting reshuffle of services between depots. Bilston depot was converted to motorbus from 26 October 1964.
Photographer unknown, original negative from Les Ronan Collection, Sunday 5 April 1964, Bilston Depot, Wolverhampton
©1964-2019 Les Ronan All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.