Photo © Roland Wilcox. Please do not re-post without permission.
London Transport L1 Class trolleybus 1357, FXH357. This class, introduced in 1939, was "chassisless" having AEC running units, Metrovick Motors and Metro-Cammell bodies. 1357's days are numbered as withdrawal of the route took place on 31st January 1961. The general murk on the edge of the City is clear. Sub surface Underground trains could clearly be heard running underneath at this location, even if they could not be seen.
The 653 was an extremely busy route. Many journeys, including the one in this photograph ran only Aldgate to Finsbury Park Station, the full route continued to Tottenham Court Road, completing an inverted U shape. In 1950 it was operated by Highgate Depot (HT) and required 49 trolleybuses (70 seaters) at peak times. When replaced by 64 seat AEC Routemasters it required 52 vehicles. Even now on a much shorter route (Hackney to Euston) it requires 25 buses and the part overlapping 254 (Aldgate to Holloway) 27 buses.
Photo taken by Roland Wilcox Collection, January 1961, (City of) London Aldgate Trolleybus and Green Line Coach Station (as the sign there described it)
©1961-2019 Roland Wilcox All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.