Photo © Alan R Hall. Please do not re-post without permission.
A sunny day at Saltaire and Bradford 831, LHN781, stands at the terminus. The BUT9611T had been delivered in the spring of 1949 to Darlington Corporation and entered service on 8 May as their 69, carrying a 56 seat East Lancs rear-entrance body.
The transport department had received assurances from the Streets Committee as to the lowering of the roadway under railway bridges beside the town's two stations, Bank Top and North Road, and ordered the batch of six 'deckers, intending to operate them on the busy route 1 from Harrowgate Hill to Lingfield Lane which passed under both bridges. The bridge situation was unchanged when they were delivered so they were put work on a service which didn't require the additional capacity. By 1952 the situation was still unchanged and, with the future of trolleybus operation in the town under consideration, they were offered for sale whilst a good price could still be obtained for them. Consequently they were sold to Doncaster Corporation and left Darlington at the end of April 1952.
Numbered 369 in Doncaster LHN781 operated there until 1959 but, as the batch were the only BUTs in the fleet, they were sold on to Bradford and became the only third-hand trolleybuses to operate in Britain. Towards the end of their time in Doncaster they were allowed to deteriorate badly but Bradford had them rebodied by East Lancs with H37/29F bodies and equipped with auto-acceleration, heaters and fluorescent lighting.
831 entered service in Bradford on 1 August 1962 and was withdrawn on 30 July 1971.
Photo taken by Alan Hall, c.1970, Saltaire Terminus, Bradford
©1970-2019 Alan R Hall All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.