Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.
Leeds 602, seen at Dewsbury Road terminus, was the second of the two railcars which had bodies built by Charles H. Roe at Crossgates.
Seating was provided for seventeen in each saloon with a standing capacity of thirty-six (fourteen in each saloon and eight in the central entrance lobby), and the body was mounted on two Maley & Taunton HS44 bogies. Control equipment was provided by Crompton Parkinson and used a VAMBAC (Variable Automatic Multi-notch Braking and Acceleration Control) controller with eighty-three notches, instead of the usual seven or eight on other Leeds trams, giving extremely smooth acceleration. The rate of acceleration was determined by how far forward the driver pushed the floor mounted control lever. This lever was pushed backwards for braking and since the tram had no compressed air or hydraulic systems it was the first "all-electric" British tram.
Photo taken by John Kaye, Sunday 7 June 1953, Dewsbury Road, Leeds
©1953-2019 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.