Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.
Leeds Feltham 563, having last been used in service on 10th October 1957, is seen leaving Swinegate Depot under the care of Elliott of York to travel to the yard of Jonhson's, Churwell where it was scrapped on 10th April 1959.
It was new as London United Tramways 371 in 1931 and passed to London Passenger Transport Board as 2140 in July 1933 before arriving in Leeds on 12th June 1951, becoming 563 and entering service on 1st February 1955, having been repainted into Leeds livery on 31st January 1952. The L.U.T. Felthams had E.M.B. Maximum traction bogies (a misnomer if ever there was one) with two 70 h.p. G.E.C. WT29 motors and G.E.C. KB5 controllers and were equipped with air wheel, magnetic track, and hand wheel brakes. They were built by the Union Construction Company at Feltham, Middlesex in 1931 and were 40' 6" long, 7' 1¾ " wide and weighed 18 tons 6 cwt. In London they seated 42/22 and in Leeds 42/28 by allowing two passengers to sit over each of the sand boxes on the platforms and by reclassifying two large single seats as doubles.
Photo taken by John Kaye, Thursday 26 March 1959, Swinegate Depot, Leeds
©1959-2019 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.