Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.
Seen at Lingwell Road, Middleton, Feltham 515, looking decidely the worse for wear in the cleanliness stakes, has come as a 12 Circular from Crossgates, via the City centre and Middleton Woods, and is on its way to Halton via Belle Isle and the City centre.
It was new as Metropolitan Electric Tramways 349 in 1931 and passed to London Passenger Transport Board as 2093 in July 1933 before becoming Leeds 515, entering service on 26th January 1951, having been repainted into Leeds livery on 7th January 1951. It had its second repaint on 11th April 1954 and was withdrawn on 30th April 1959.
The M.E.T. Felthams had E.M.B. Maximum traction bogies (a misnomer if ever there was one) with two 70 h.p. B.T-H. 509P1 motors and Metropolitan Vickers OK33B controllers and were equipped with air wheel, magnetic track, and hand wheel brakes. They were built by the Union Construction Company at Feltham, Middlesex in 1931 and were 40' 6" long, 7' 1¾ " wide and weighed 18 tons 6 cwt. In London they seated 42/22 and in Leeds 42/28 by allowing two passengers to sit over each of the sand boxes on the platforms and by reclassifying two large single seats as doubles.
Photo taken by John Kaye, Friday 20 March 1959, Lingwell Road, Middleton, Leeds
©1959-2019 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.