Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.
On the last day of the Gipton route Leeds 503 loads on the third track, in Call Lane, at the Corn Exchange. This was installed in February 1953 to allow trams running from New Inn, Wortley to Halton to reach their loading point in New York Street without being obstructed by trams loading for Compton Road and Gipton. 503 was one of the ninety Feltham trams acquired from London Transport in 1950/1 after the trial, in October 1949, of London 2099 which became Leeds 501 later.
503 entered service in October 1950 in all over B.E.T. red livery with lining out and on repaint in November 1953 it acquired the white bands but lost the lining out. The body was built by the Union Construction Company at Feltham in Middlesex on E.M.B. Maximum traction bogies. In London this seated 42/22 but in Leeds it became 42/28 by adding two seats over each of the sand boxes opposite each staircase and classing an extra-wide single seat at each end of the saloon as for two rather than one.
Photo taken by John Kaye, Saturday 23 April 1955, Call Lane, Leeds
©1955-2019 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.