Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.

Wartime austerity tram 275 is seen in the shortened siding in Lowfields Road on one of the occasions during the Suez crisis when trams were again used for football specials. 275 had been reconstructed during the war from the burnt out Chamberlain 104, with the body being built by the Transport Department at Kirkstall Road works.
When rebuilt in 1943 it was initially numbered 104 but was renumbered to 275 in August 1948.
The curving track in front of 275 leads into the Permanent Way yard whilst the short section of straight track visible originally continued the full length of Lowfields Road until the Elland Road tram route was converted to buses in June 1955.

Photo taken by John Kaye, Saturday 5 January 1957, Lowfields Road, Leeds

©1957-2019 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.

Show this photo as ...
Higher Resolution
Leeds City Transport ...
Fleet Photo Index

Photo ref: ld275a. Page and photo added July 2016
Cookie policy