SCT'61
Trams

Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.

Leeds Lance Corporal 274, the last of the three, seen in New Market Street, is about to use the number one curve at the Corn Exchange which was used as its Corn Exchange terminus by the number 14 service to Half Mile Lane and Stanningley until October 1953.
The three Lance Corporals, so called because of the moulding on the dash panel, were built by the Transport Department in 1935 and each seated 36/26 on a Maley & Taunton Swing Link truck, When new they had bucket type revolving seats which were changed in 1949 when Ultimate ticket machines replaced the Bell Punch tickets on route 1, 2 and 3 on which they operated. Reversible seats were adopted with 2 + 2 seating in the upper saloon and reversible seats on one side of the lower saloon with a longitudinal seat on the other side, the seating capacity changing to 34/26. 274 was withdrawn in March 1955 and was burned at Low Fields Road Permanent Way Yard in December 1955.

Photo taken by John Kaye, Saturday 7 February 1953, New Market Street, Leeds

©1953-2019 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.

Show this photo as ...
Higher Resolution
Leeds City Transport ...
Fleet Photo Index

Photo ref: ld274a. Page and photo added January 2019
Cookie policy