Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.

Leeds 255 on the siding at Burley Mills (Haddon Place), Kirkstall Road. Previously trams turning at Haddon Place had stood on a siding in the main road, very close to the kerb causing congestion and danger to west-bound traffic and this siding was therefore constructed on the northern side of the road in 1942 about 200 yards beyond the old one so that trams could stand without being a hindrance to road traffic.
Trams still continued to show Haddon Place as the destination and 255, seen here, was on an L.R.T.L. tour of the system. 255 was the prototype for the Middleton bogies and differed by having the staircases on the offside rather than the nearside. It entered service in July 1933, had a Brush 40/30 body on Maley & Taunton Swing Link bogies and was withdrawn in October 1955, being burned at Low Fields Road Permanent Way Yard in November 1956. It weighed 15 tons 10 cwt., was fitted with four regenerative motors and was 36' 0" long, thus being 6" longer than the production cars, 256-271.

Photo taken by John Kaye, Sunday 4 May 1952, Kirkstall Road, Leeds

©1952-2019 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.

Show this photo as ...
Higher Resolution
Leeds City Transport ...
Fleet Photo Index

Photo ref: ld255a. Page and photo added January 2019
Cookie policy