SCT'61
Roger Janes Memorial Gallery

Photo © Roy Brown (Roger Janes Collection). Please do not re-post without permission.

Southdown 1194, EUF94, was one of a batch of 24 1938 Leyland TS8 Tigers with Harrington C32R bodies fitted with half-length folding roofs.
They were Southdown's first batch of oil-engined coaches, but a decision in the early 1940s to convert all bus saloons to diesel resulted in an engine swap between this batch of coaches and 7.6 litre petrol buses Nos.1400-1429. Most were converted back to diesel again around 1950. 1194 was new 5/38; to Leyland 7.6 litre petrol engine 1942 and back to Leyland 8.6 litre oil engine 5/51. The body was sold to J.Light (breaker), Lewes 2/52 and scrapped, the running gear being donated to Beadle C35C Integral 860 LCD 860 which entered service in 5/52. The Beadle did a couple of years with Mexborough & Swinton 1962 as No.105 after withdrawal by Southdown. Info on these Tigers and Beadle Integrals from Dick Gilberts Southdown Tiger pages on his Classic Buses website.
Behind the TS8 are 2 members of the Hants & Sussex Fleet, both PS1s, the first with Duple Ambassador style full front coachwork, the other with a more usual Duple 'A' body

Photo taken by Roy Brown (Roger Janes collection), August 1950, South Parade Pier, Southsea

©1950-2024 Roy Brown (Roger Janes Collection) All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.

Show this photo as ...
Higher Resolution
Roger Janes Memorial Gallery ...
View Gallery Previous Photo Next Photo
Southdown ...
Fleet Photo Index

Photo ref: sd1194. Page and photo added October 2023
Cookie policy