Photo © Chris Hough. Please do not re-post without permission.
This utility Guy Arab II of 1943 has a most interesting history. It was one of over 100 Arab utilities delivered to Plymouth City Transport during the war years, CDR679 with fleet number 249. The whole batch featured lowbridge bodies built by Roe. After withdrawal in 1957 it was sold to Grenville Motors of Camborne. Eventually it was sold to an Essex farm who removed the body and converted it into a flat truck to move bales of hay.
After some thirty years on the land the "truck" was bought with a view to preservation. The bus found its way to the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum in Fife and the new owner rebodied the chassis with a full height Duple utility body from a former Northampton Daimler. The resultant hybrid was painted in wartime gray as depicted here. The bus now carries the green colours of the AA Co-operative of Ayr who ran original ex Plymouth Guys from the same batch of buses.
There are a lot more details and some more pictures here.
Photo taken by Chris Hough, Sunday 27 March 2005, Kirkby Stephen Rally
©2005-2017 Chris Hough All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.