Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.
New in 1930 as London United 369, becoming London Passenger Transport Board 2138 in 1934 and Leeds 554 in November 1951 this Feltham with a Union Construction Company 42/28 body on E.M.B. Maximum Traction bogies is seen in City Square. The loading barriers for Whingate and New Inn, which had been on the other side of the tram, had been removed to enable the reconstruction of the roadways in City Square in preparation for the withdrawal of the tram services on July 20th and offside loading/unloading at the front was used for a few weeks with passengers being escorted across the inbound track by an L.C.T. Employee, seen here with his hands behind his back.
554 exchanged numbers with 517 in February 1959 and was sold to the Middleton Railway Preservation Society, as 517, leaving Swinegate for preservation on 26th March 1961. It was later vandalised and the body was burned on 20th April 1968, the bogies being saved and restored and now at Crich under restored London E1 car 1622.
Photo taken by John Kaye, Sunday 17 June 1956, City Square, Leeds
©1956-2017 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.