Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.
Buckmaster, Leighton Buzzard acquired XTC684 in July 1958 from the Scottish Bus Group who had taken over Lowland Motorways, Glasgow in January 1958. Lowland had acquired it in March 1957 after demonstration work. This was the second prototype of what was later to become the Leyland Atlantean and was a PDR1 model with Metro Cammell H37/24RD bodywork new in 1955.
The engine was the O/350 placed transversely on the rear platform driving through a pneumocyclic gearbox and the driver entered his cab through the saloon. The space over the rear wheel arches was used for luggage. Buckmaster ran it until January 1969 and it was acquired for preservation in September 1974 after having sat in Buckmaster's yard for several years.
Photo taken by John Kaye, Sunday 16 October 1966
©1966-2017 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.