SCT'61
Map Locations

On 16 June 1951, West Yorkshire Road Car Co. Ltd arranged a Private Hire to take "old folks" from Yeadon to Southport for the day.

The vehicles used comprised their entire fleet of post-War full coaches at the time, these being ;
660-5 (JWU 889-94), Bristol L6Bs with ECW FC31F bodywork, new in 1950. These became CB 1-6 in the 1954 renumbering and progressively, later in life, EB 11-6 and SB 11-6.
666-73 (JYG 744-9/36/7), Bristol LWL6Bs with ECW FC35F bodies, new in 1951. These became CBW 1-8 in 1954 and then, later in life, EBW 1-8 and SBW 1-8.

These 14 vehicles were insufficient, and so WY hired in 4 additional vehicles. Two were from Thomas Tilling, and comprised AEC Regal IVs with ECW bodies, LYM 728/9, with their original ECW bodies, and Eastern Counties LS 706/7 (KNG 706/7), Bristol LWL6Bs with ECW FC35F bodies like WY 666-73. Of these, at least WY 672/3 and the two ECOC coaches were brand new, in their first month of service.

In the photograph, starting from the left, are the 6 West Yorkshire L6Bs (note the second and fourth have already gained silver-painted radiator grilles, after only a year!), then come the two Tilling AECs, then the Eastern Counties LWLs and finally the 8 West Yorkshire LWLs.

Photo taken by West Yorkshire Road Car Co (Trevor Leach collection), Saturday 16 June 1951, Albert Square, Yeadon

See the Site Map for further details about copyright.

Show this photo as ...
Higher Resolution
Map Locations Gallery ...
View Gallery Previous Photo Next Photo
West Yorkshire ...
Fleet Photo Index

Photo ref: wy660. Page and photo added January 2019
Cookie policy