Photo © West Yorkshire Information Service Collection. Please do not re-post without permission.
BWY991 was a Bristol K5G with ECW L27/26R bodywork, new in 1937 as West Yorkshire 359. In 1949 it was rebodied with a new ECW L27/28R body and was renumbered DG 13 in 1954. Withdrawn in 1959, it was converted during 1960 at West Yorkshire Central Works into a tree lopper, numbered 1025, and was also used as a snowplough at Harrogate Bus Station.
It was painted Tilling green, along with most of the other West Yorkshire service stock, rather than the fleet livery of Tilling red.
In 1971 it was renumbered 4025 and towards the end of the decade was used on towing duties, in particular at Leeds, and this lead to its withdrawal in June 1980 when its vacuum braking system was considered by the Engineers to be inadequate for the added weight of the modern vehicles.
Sold in October 1980 to Norths, dealer, Sherburn in Elmet, it passed the same month to Shepherd, dealer, Bishop Thornton near Ripon, and is still owned by Shepherd, kept under cover at his premises.
Note the withdrawn Morris/Beadle service vans (1023/4, HYG 972/3) in the background; these passed to Norths, Sherburn, during November 1964.
Photo taken by Bob Mack/WYIS Collection, June-November 1964, rear of Grove Park Depot, Harrogate
©1964-2019 West Yorkshire Information Service Collection All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.