Photo © Ken Jones. Please do not re-post without permission.
MXX223 was built in 1952 - same age as the photographer. It has a 53 seat Weymann body and became LT RLH23. It began its career in Country area green colours, at Addlestone garage. It was transferred to the Central area at Hornchurch in 1955, but not repainted red until moving to Harrow Weald 9 months later. Only 8 RLHs changed colour (all from green to red) during their London careers.
The bus went back to Hornchurch in 1959, for route 248, and finished its career at Dalston in 1964, where it ran on the 178 route, being withdrawn in June 1966. RLH 23 was purchased for preservation by David Pring and D James in 1967. It has now been lovingly preserved for longer than its service career with London Transport.
RLH23 was fully PCV certified with Timebus Travel in 1987, the first RLH in the UK to be re-licensed for commercial passenger carrying service. It has a fully refurbished interior with all original features retained, including the extensive used of wooden trimming, and is available for private hires.
In 2001 RLH23 was repainted red, but the colour of the central horizontal band changed from cream to flake grey.
Photo taken by Ken Jones, Saturday 1 October 1988, Wolverton Railway Works Open Day
Click here for Ken's photo gallery
©1988-2019 Ken Jones All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.