Photo © Ken Jones. Please do not re-post without permission.
This is MLL949 new to London Transport in October 1952 as RF 312. It was renumbered RF 531 in March 1956. Renumbering was a result of getting the different types of RF in blocks of fleet numbers.
It was a central area, red, bus, and converted to one man operation in 1959. It was sold to Kestrel Gliding Club in 1977 – who are based at RAF Odiham, Hook, Hampshire, and converted to a glider winch vehicle by 43 Comd WKSP. There is a plaque inside with their coat of arms. It is only a chassis and cab. 43 Command WKSP were based at Aldershot from 1962 to c1985. It was created from 13 Command WKSPs and after c1985 was renamed 43 District WKSP REME
Not very many pictures of this vehicle exist - there are some on Flickr - including aside view of the vehicle as a glider winch. It moved from Kent to Quantock Heritage last year and is likely to be used for spares. Additional information provided by Peter Snowden and Quantock Heritage
Photo taken by Ken Jones Gallery, Wednesday 14 February 2018, Quantock Heritage, Somerset
Click here for Ken's photo gallery
©2018-2019 Ken Jones All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.