Photo © Essex Bus Enthusiasts Group. Please do not re-post without permission.
Bristol K5G NNO101 was delivered straight to London Transport in October 1948, one of a large number of Tilling group K types diverted to alleviate post War vehicle shortages in the capital. It worked from Camberwell (Q) garage until November 1949, when it was released to Eastern National.
As fleet number 4001 it passed to United Counties in May 1952 when the whole ‘Midland’ area of EN was transferred, becoming 760 in the UCOC fleet until disposed of in 1966 to Syd Twell of Ingham, a dealer who took large numbers of withdrawn vehicles for many years from, amongst others, Eastern National, United Counties and Lincolnshire.
Operating initially from Luton depot, it had moved to Aylesbury by 1961 as seen here at an unknown date. The destination display had been modified by this time from the original two piece arrangement, route 367 being one of a number of heavily used services to and from Halton RAF Camp. The L type behind appears to be UCOC 327 (NNO109), formerly EN 4009, while the London Transport Country Area RT is on the trunk Watford Heath to Aylesbury 301 and would be from Tring (TG) or Hemel Hempstead (HH) garage. Aylesbury depot was the western outpost of the former Eastern National empire.
Photo from EBEG collection, courtesy Chris Stewart, taken Kingsbury Square, Aylesbury
©1961-2017 Essex Bus Enthusiasts Group.
Click here to visit the EBEG web site for details about how to join the group, their regular meetings and monthly magazine and also for information about photos for sale from their collection.