Photo © Alan R Hall. Please do not re-post without permission.
Edinburgh 739, ESG652, was a Guy Arab III with Metro-Cammell B35R body which was new in 1948. Originally numbered A139 (the A, in theory at least, representing a Daimler single-decker with oil engine), it became 739 in the May 1951 renumbering (in which the A series buses had 600 added to their number) before becoming 839 in 1956 in order to accommodate the 56 order of PD2s (701-800).
It is preserved in the number it carried between 1951 and 1956 although it is here displaying service 21 which wasnt created until 9 March 1958 when routes 1 and 48 were combined to form a circular service (Clermiston Circle 21). These services were the usual haunt of these buses; the service had to be operated by saloons because of low railway bridges at Crewe Toll and Abbeymount , until these were reconstructed in 1966. They also operated services 45/46 (Juniper Green Portobello), service 40 (Newcraighall Portobello), service 13 (Lochend Ravelston Dykes) as well as the Summer service 32 (Waverley Bridge Castle).
It is seen here on the Saturday of the open weekend at the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum, clearly displaying its fleetnumber which was the subject of a recent query on the site
Photo taken by Alan Hall, Saturday 16 August 2014, SVBM, Lathalmond
©2014-2017 Alan R Hall All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.