Coras Iompair Eireann (CIE) H4, former Leyland Tiger Towing lorry ("Tow Car").
CIE inherited a small fleet of pre-War and wartime Leyland Tigers from the Great Southern Railway fleet and then proceeded to build up a large fleet of post-War Leyland Tigers of its own in the years from 1947-53. By the early 1960s, withdrawals were taking place of the earliest Tigers and a number were converted into towing lorries, or "Tow Cars" in CIE parlance. Records of which were altered drastically, as opposed to buses being simply fitted with a towing eye, as well as subsequent renumbering, appear incomplete, so this Tiger, converted into a serviceable looking lorry and numbered H4, could be either a Tiger TS11 or an OPS3. In any event it was doing duty at Galway depot when photographed.
Photo taken by Trevor Leach, July 1964, Galway CIE depot, Eire
See the Site Map for further details about copyright.