Photo © Alan R Hall. Please do not re-post without permission.
Cardiff 278, KBO951, was a BUT 9641T with East Lancs H40/32R bodywork, one of the final batch of thirteen trolleybuses dating from 1955. These magnificent vehicles were purchased to facilitate the 4 mile extension from Victoria Park along Cowbridge Road West and Grand Avenue into the Ely housing estate.
It is seen loading outside the offices of the Western Mail and South Wales Echo in Havelock Street for a journey on service 10B to Ely (Green Farm Road) during the last months of the system. The actual terminus for the 10A and most 10Bs was in McDonald Road; about every third 10B, however, operated round a one-way loop to terminate at Western Cemetery although these journeys were not distinguished separately on the blinds.
Cardiff had the honour of operating the last 6-wheel trolleybuses in the UK.
Photo taken by Alan Hall, 1969, Havelock Street, Cardiff
©1969-2017 Alan R Hall All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.