SCT '61
Photo Gallery

Photo © John Stringer. Please do not re-post without permission.

Barton Transport W963, a Daimler CJ charabanc, the chassis having been acquired from an unknown source and the body being a replica built by Barton in 1952/53 to represent their first vehicle that inaugurated the Long Eaton to Nottingham service.
The original W963 had been a 1908 Durham-Churchill bought from the manufacturer when only three months old, having been repossessed from its original Scarborough-based operator. This is said to have had a 4-cylinder 28hp Aster engine and 4-speed gearbox with charabanc body possibly built be Tomlinson of Sheffield. Durham-Churchill had asked 450 for it, but Mr. Barton instead offered to pay 12 to have it on three months trial, and then if successful pay 12 per month until the asking price was paid off. The replica built on an acquired Daimler chassis - somehow they had managed to retain and transfer the Durham-Churchill's registration number - is seen here on an enthusiasts' visit in April 1973 when still painted in a green livery, though later it was repainted into the more familiar red.

Photo taken by John Stringer, April 1973, Barton's Chilwell Depot

©1973-2020 John Stringer All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.

Show this photo as ...
Higher Resolution
Grey Scale
Barton ...
Fleet Photo Index

Photo ref: btw963. Page and photo added July 2020
Cookie policy