Photo © Paul Haywood. Please do not re-post without permission.
Blackpool 753 was an Engineering Car which started life as Standard 143 in 1924 with open vestibules and balconies.
At a later date it had its vestibules enclosed and survived in service until 1957. After withdrawal from passenger duties it had its centre top deck removed and was fitted with an inspection tower and numbered 3 in the works fleet. To allow it to operate when the overhead was isolated, it was fitted with a bus engine to generate power for the motors.
In 1961 the top deck ends were removed and, in 1972, was renumbered 753. It continued in this guise until 1990 when a generator fire led to its withdrawal. It was later saved by the Lancastrian Transport Trust and work to restore it to 1924 condition commenced in 2005. It would be interesting to know what bus engine was fitted in 1957 and whether this was replaced over the intervening years.
Photo taken by Paul Haywood, Sunday 30 June 1974, Rigby Road depot, Blackpool
©1974-2017 Paul Haywood All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.