Photo © Alan R Hall. Please do not re-post without permission.
PAG761H was a Daimler Fleetline CRG6LX with Alexander H44/31F bodywork owned by A1 Service member James Brown of Dreghorn. Brown had joined the A1 consortium in 1950, buying the share previously held by William Hill.
Shortly after this, it was agreed that members wishing to leave the co-operative could only sell their shares to family members or existing members. Originally based at Corsehill Garage, Springside, Brown later moved to Hill’s Townfoot Garage in Dreghorn. These days, the site of his garage forms the access road to a new development called ‘Townfoot Lane’.
One of six identical vehicles delivered to A1 Service members in 1970, it wore an ‘understated’ special livery for HM The Queen’s Silver Jubilee in 1977. It is seen in the A1 bus station in John Dickie Street, Kilmarnock, awaiting departure on its next journey to Ardrossan (Chapelhill Mount), high above the town on its Western edge and overlooking the Firth of Clyde and the island of Arran.
This bus station was opened in 1959 and replaced an on-street stance and parking area in St Marnock Street. When the new Kilmarnock Bus Station replaced the separate facilities of A1 and Western SMT, A1 were allocated two stances and an office.
Photo taken by Alan Hall, early 1970s, A1 Bus Station, John Dickie Street, Kilmarnock
©1970-2017 Alan R Hall All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.